The Official Website of Bargoed RFC

Bargoed RFC 21 – RGC 1401 17

Bargoed RFC welcomed RGC 1404 to Bargoed Park for a wet and windy Friday night Premiership tie.

In difficult conditions it was Bargoed who had the better of the early exchanges and when they had a scrum close to the RGC line their powerful scrum shunted the visitors over for Grant Rogers to touchdown and Josh Prosser added the extras for a 7-0 lead.

RGC fought back and dominated territory and possession as they battered away, but the home side were equal to the task and defended superbly.

Bargoed lost Callum Davies with an arm injury, and Adam Coupe joined the fray relishing in the conditions along with back row colleagues Johnson and Rogers in repelling the RGC attacks.

James Lock and Wade Langley were also prominent in defence and Geraint Edmonds and John Lavender carries effectively when Bargoed had some ball to play with.

The visitors did manage to pull level on 32 minutes and Aaron Evans burrowed over for a try converted by Billy McBride to make it 7-7 and is stayed like that until half time.

Bargoed started the second half and took control early on with their set piece pressurising RGC. They worked their way from their 22 into the visitors 22 and when they turned the ball over at the line-out they used Edmonds to carry effectively close to the line and prop Ali Gardiner-Key deservedly rumbled over to score a rare try, Prosser converted to make it 14-7.

The next 10 minutes was dominated in terms of territory and possession by RGC but Bargoed’s organisation and work rate in defence was first class as they managed to keep their blue line intact.

Good work from backs Humphries, Jones and Norton saw the Blues attack with ball in hand and then find space with a clever kick and chase.

Bargoed won the line-out and then when through nine phases of attack before Darren Humphries cut through to score in midfield. Prosser converted to make it 21-7 and put the hosts in the driving seat.

Five minutes later it was roles reversed though, as RGC attacked through a series of pick and drives and eventually closed the gap when Mei Parry went over for a try, converted by McBride.

Bargoed made some changes with Lewys Lippiett coming on for the impressive Langley at hooker, and Adam Powell replaced hard working Lewis Johnson in the back row.

RGC looked to build on this but the  Bulls had other ideas as their powerful scrum put the visitors under huge pressure.

Half backs Leadbeater and Prosser managed the game well in the last ten minutes and with an iron clad blue defence in place there was no way back for the North Wales outfit as Bargoed closed the game out and won 21-17.

The coaches will be pleased with the result but as importantly the attitude, grit and desire that the players displayed in difficult conditions. Bargoed didn’t get that many chances in attack but their accuracy in getting the three tries was excellent.

This was a real team effort, and Bargoed will now look forward to another big game on Thursday 14th March at the Brewery Field, as they face Bridgend.

Bargoed RFC

Match Referee:

Assistant Referees:

Next Match: ()
OFFICIAL SPONSORS: click logo to visit website