The Official Website of Bargoed RFC

Ebbw Vale 34 Bargoed 10

Bargoed travelled to Eugene Cross Park, Ebbw Vale for another Principality Premiership encounter, as they looked to build on a couple of wins and good performances over the last couple of weeks.

Bargoed started well and applied pressure in the Ebbw 22 with a driving line-out but they failed to capitalise, letting the home side off the hook.

However they did manage to get back into the Ebbw 22 and when centre Aneurin Owen was yellow carded, Bargoed took advantage after 13 minutes and wing Ashley Norton crashed over for the opening try.

Ebbw bounced back and went on the offensive. They missed a couple of kicks but Rhys Jones did kick a penalty to make it 5-3.

The game was finely balanced but Bargoed seemed to have the edge playing into the wind, and Ebbw picking up a second yellow card. Crucially Bargoed couldn’t get the territory or possession required and failed to take advantage of the numerical advantage.

Indeed it was The Steelmen who scored next with a series of pick and go’s and Lloyd Evans got over with Jones converting to make it 8-5.

Bargoed lost concentration in defence and this resulted in them conceding just before half time with a try from Paul King to make it 13-5.

Bargoed were disappointed to concede but were still in it with the wind behind them in the second half.

Bargoed started well enough and got a foothold in the Ebbw 22 but they decided to go for the corner and ended up losing possession. They them imploded, giving away a series of penalties which saw Ebbw end up in the Bargoed 22, and when Grant Rogers was yellow carded they took advantage with Rhys Jones getting the try and converting it to lead 20-5.

The game was going away from Bargoed now, and Ebbw scored again a couple of minutes later after a kick was charged down and after a hack and hope, wing Dafydd Howells went over again converted by Jones to make it 27-5 and leave Bargoed with a mountain to climb.

Bargoed used the bench and did manage to get their second try on 68 minutes after good approach work as Darren Humphries touched down to make it 27-10.

However although Bargoed looked to move the ball and close the gap there were too many errors and it was the home side that had the final say with a second try at the final whistle for Lloyd Evans, converted by Jones to make it 34-10.

This was a disappointing performance from Bargoed, as after a good start they crucially failed to take advantage of the opportunities they created and Ebbw pounced and scored at critical times either side of half time.

Bargoed will review this and be keen to cut out those errors and work hard in training as they look forward to Merthyr away next week.

Bargoed RFC

Match Referee:

Assistant Referees:

Next Match: ()
OFFICIAL SPONSORS: click logo to visit website