The Official Website of Bargoed RFC

Bargoed 28 Pontypridd 55

Bargoed played their penultimate game of the season against Pontypridd RFC at a sunny but very windy Bargoed Park.

The visitors had first use of the strong wind in similar circumstances to the previous week. Ponty had the better of the early exchanges but Bargoed defended well until the 13th minute when after a scrum close to the hosts line, Morgan Sienawski managed to squeeze over for the opening try converted by Ceri Sweeney.

Bargoed hit back and looked as though Jordan Howells had scored but were pulled back for a knock on. However a couple of minutes later he did score after good work by initially John Lavender and then Darren Humphries. Josh Prosser converted to make it 7-7.

Pontypridd scores again after 22 minutes when again the scrum was the launchpad for their attack and this time it was Alex Webber scoring in the corner and Sweeney converting.

Bargoed managed to square things up before half time, and from a scrum near the half way outside half Julian Mogg scythed through the visitors defence with a searing break and superb finish in a great individual try, Prosser converted and it was 14-14 at the break.

Bargoed had the wind behind them in the second half but for the second week in a row they failed to take advantage of this, and were slow out of the blocks.

Bargoed lost a line-out and then conceded a couple of penalties and they gifted the visitors field position. Ponty attacked close in with their forwards before moving the ball and Sweeney ghosted in through the Bargoed defence, and converted to make it 21-14.

The visitors scored again from the kick off with Dane Blacker going over and Sweeney converted to make it 28-14 as Ponty seized the initiative.

Bargoed’s poor discipline was a key factor in this period as they lost their shape and struggled to get possession. This resulted in further tries from Kieron Assiratti, Alex Webber and Morgan Sienawski to put the visitors up 43-14.

Ponty scored again when a handling error saw Sion Edwards pounce and run in from 40 yards out and with Sweeney knocking the conversion over it was 50-14 with 66 minutes in the clock, and Bargoed chasing the game.

Bargoed managed to get some possession and started to play some rugby and they got their third try after some good play had resulted in a rare penalty being awarded in their favour. Lewys Lippiett was the try scorer from a driving maul, converted by Prosser to make it 50-21.

However they conceded again when trying to attack from deep, when another handling error resulted in Alex Webber having a simple run in with another cheap try conceded.

Bargoed continued to scrap until the end though and from another period of pressure Keegan Bale went over for a bonus point try. Prosser converted to make the final score 55-28.

Bargoed will be disappointed that they didn’t get more from this game as they gave Ponty the momentum to kick on and take the game when it was in the balance in that second period.

The players and coaching staff will review the game and realise that Bargoed were the creators of their own downfall with a 25 minute period where they struggled to get possession, conceded a series of penalties and also gifted the visitors four tries.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS: click logo to visit website